diver.net

Freedom Plate and Redondo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on March 01, 2009 at 19:58:42:

Hello Eric and the NorthCoasters!

The 30# DiverRite travel wing on the Freedom plate worked out great. Descended to 20 ft - no air needed so we headed to the canyon. At 40 ft I added a puff and at 60 another puff. That was with an 8 lb belt, the plate and 2 DiveRite SS cams, so about 6 lbs on my back and a negative 2# steel tank.

Gotta agree with gonephishing, the wing isn't all that needed; probably offset about 2# of lead at 60 ft. with the little air I added. Would have been more needed at a greater depth. For a typical 30 ft beach dive, the wing mainly just provides surface flotation with a steel tank.

I did a few rolls with Otter observing and the wing stayed in place perfectly. One of the real pluses is that I really can't feel the plate in place - its an extension of my back! But I had already felt that experience when I had the 18# Oxycheq. The DiveRite travel wing isn't as streamlined as the Oxycheq razer wing, but there really isn't any noticeable drag either. Air consumption was normal (beat Otter).

The dive itself was spectacular. We actually had tried to go to White Point (which would have been wonderous), but all roads were blocked by a triathelon. Thanks, LA City for such good road planning. The parking enforcement dude said we could come back at 11, but that was HIGH TIDE!!! So we headed off to Redondo.

The 'massive' 6 inch surf prepared us for what was to come - no surge, great vis and just a heck of a fun dive. Saw a lot of sand dabs and sole, a mass of baby snails, a huge moon snail, nudibranch, sea hare, mud crab, thornback, but just 1 cluster of 8 squid eggs. It was one of those no gravity zen days of diving and nitrogen loading - wow!.

After changing we headed to Eat at Joes for a Mad Dog and Avacado ommelette - perfect end of a great day.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to