diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Seaweed Rebellion: North Coast Enviros Battle Schwarzenegger and Big Green Over MLPA

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Knight on June 21, 2009 at 23:23:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Seaweed Rebellion: North Coast Enviros Battle Schwarzenegger and Big Green Over MLPA posted by Eric S on June 21, 2009 at 20:54:16:

I would agree that Sea Ranch is not a good example of dense populations of abalone and I think you've made my point for me. This is a heavily accessed area for abs and it's vulnerable for that and a host of other reasons.

You point out that this is about looking at the "entire scope," and that populations are increasing in this area. I don't know how you can say that in all honesty because there is no way you can prove it or that I can disprove it. You also don't seem to want to accept the fact that this is a statewide-species that was once very dense from Southern California to the Oregon border and that the ones you're talking about are not genetically unique from ones found say at San Miguel Island or off Huntington. For that reason alone, it's honest to say that the whole population is in trouble.

If the Pt. Reyes/Ft. Bragg area is the last dense,healthy population of reds on the California Coast, then the responsible thing is to do is keep fishing them like we always have because nothing bad could ever happen here? That's really weak. Maybe the answer is to cut back to 2 a day or 12 a season? I don't know because all the rhetoric I hear is " everything is fine. We're sustainable. We'll just keep fishing like we always have." No alternatives at all have come up.

These guys that held this event just want to keep fishing no matter what the end result may be. We've got a lot of collapsed fisheries in California to prove that point over and over again so self-policing isn't a viable option. I think the people who did the release should be honest and not use buzz words like sustainable and corrupt like a green shield. As a person who fishes and hunts, this irresponsible behavior leaves a bad taste in my mouth and as a Californian who knows about the historical legacy of fishing this state has, it makes really sad.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to