diver.net

So you want to be an underwater hunter?

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JohnC on November 01, 2009 at 01:07:07:

Just read the article “So you want to be an underwater hunter?” in the October issue of Socal Diving News. Good article with some good suggestions for the would-be hunter. This would include me.
I have gone spear fishing 3 times.
1.Front side of Catalina 08 - Limited on Sheephead.
2.Ship Rock 09 - 3 Calico’s, 1 Sheephead.
3.Refugio 09 – 4 Perch.
My limited observation has been that being a sea hunter in today’s eco sensitive world is view by many like being a cannibal at a vegetarian retreat.
Glares at the sight of your spear gun, comments like one I recently received after bragging to my buddy about my catch. “That’s like shooting the family dog isn’t it!” But man, I like spear fishing! I like bringing fish home for the fam!
I will confess that I have been taken back by the lack of fish in many of the places we have dived. And I have seen over the years a drastic decline in the catch that is taken off sport fishing boats, both in size and numbers. And this does concern me.
This article made me think about what and where I should allow myself to hunt.
I think I may limit my hunting to areas that are off the beaten path off most dive charters, i.e. the front side of anywhere.
These places I think I will reserve for capturing photos of the wonders of the deep.
You guy’s who hunt, what do you think? Do you hunt just with other hunters? Do you limit where and you hunt?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to