diver.net

Re: More clarification (IMHO)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon on September 03, 2010 at 06:49:51:

In Reply to: More clarification (IMHO) posted by Ken Kurtis on September 02, 2010 at 23:06:46:

Ken, Thanks for the clarification about the bycatch issue and one per vessel rather than per day.

However I think you are misreading the second clause of the regulation, which pertains solely to fish take in Mexican waters. Here's what I found on Findlaw:

(a) Giant seabass (Stereolepis gigas) may not be taken for any purpose, except that not more than one fish per vessel may be possessed or sold if taken incidentally in commercial fishing operations by gill or trammel net. Any fish so taken shall not be transferred to any other vessel.

(b) The restrictions specified in this section shall not apply to 1,000 pounds of giant seabass per trip taken in waters lying south of the International Boundary Line between the United States and Mexico extended westerly into the Pacific Ocean. Fish taken under this provision, however, shall be limited to a maximum aggregate of 3,000 pounds per vessel in any calendar year. A current fishing permit issued by the Mexican government constitutes valid evidence that the giant seabass were taken south of the international boundary.

It doesn't appear there is any cumulative restriction on BSB caught as bycatch (other than one per vessel).

I wonder how many BSB are actually caught in gill nets and trammel nets?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to