A mask fit is not their problem, it is yours

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on February 28, 2005 at 17:21:44:

In Reply to: Re: How do these lawsuits end??? I never hear follow up posted by Tobbie on February 28, 2005 at 08:56:50:

As a diver, you should be capable of dealign with a poorly fitting mask, a mask kicked off by a fellow diver, a broken strap underwater, etc. This level of skill fits withing the minimum standards to which you were trained.

A poorly fitting mask, is not the resort's problem. It is yours, since you selected it and chose to dive in it. If they did not have masks that fit you, you could have chosen to not dive, it was that bad. I used to have facial hair, and no mask could seal for me. Now I have a fat face, and most masks do not fit me well.

But a mask that leaks, falls off, or fails to stay on should notbe a big deal to you.

If you thought it was, I strongly suggest that you get a refresher course (PADI calls it a scuba tune-up, for example). Any local dive shop can link you up with an instructor or divemaster who can bring you up to a proper comfort level with your gear to prevent this type of problem in the future. I am not kidding about this. Your safety is important, and training is the problem.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]