Questions on drift diving, diver skill needed for Cozumel

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dick Analog on March 23, 2005 at 04:49:57:

In Reply to: Trip Report (and pix) - Cozumel posted by Ken Kurtis on March 22, 2005 at 08:51:42:

Very nice report and photos, Ken. I appreciate your objectiveness; nothing is sugar-coated. Yes, Cozumel is certainly on our to-do list.

I've got a few questions. You (and Prof.Lyle in his reports) mentioned that most of the diving at Cozumel is drift diving. That sounds exciting to me, but the prospect of drift diving always makes my dive buddy (and sweetie pie) nervous. She's got touchy sinus passages and often needs a little more time than most to descend. Once she has eased her way to depth, she's A-OK. For her, the availability of an anchor line or reference line of some sort is a real plus. For someone like her, what are the implications for drift diving? If the current is medium-speed, would she be able to get the time she needs to descend/equalize and still have a reasonable chance of being able to stick with the group? Have you (or others on this BBS) had experience with slow-descenders on drift dives? - if so, how did they deal with it?

And finally, how does the diver skill/experience necessary to have fun at Cozumel compare with the skill/experience required for something like your Sea of Cortez trips? Based on your trip reports, diving where you do in the Sea of Cortez seems more advanced - you tend to go pretty deep to look for those hammerheads.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]