Re: Two novice divers rescued by Lifeguard at Leo Carillo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Hoffmann on August 21, 2000 at 13:11:33:

In Reply to: Two novice divers rescued by Lifeguard at Leo Carillo posted by JC on August 19, 2000 at 06:19:04:

JC, when I first started diving I had a number of near death experiences in the surf line(that was 30 years ago).
What I have learned, is that you need to do a good long site survey before you suit-up and then do another site survey on the beach. The key to this is that you don't get yourself into this situation in the first place(if it's bad, call the dive,plan B "breakfast"). Something else you could do is call the surf report before you go down to the beach.
The major problem I see with most beach divers is that they spend to long in the surf line. You need to wait for the lull and then move through the surf line as fast as you can(don't stop.. go for it).If the surf in much bigger then 2-3 ft. you shouldn't go.
If you are a new diver, I think you should have everything in place for a beach entry ( fins on your feet, mask of your face, reg. in your mouth, BC about 1/3 full, after you have been diving for a while you will probably walk in and out with your fin in your hands).
You said that you couldn't breath from your regulator. This means you probably were Hyper-ventiling. This can be caused by a poorly tuned regulator or a poor preforming regulator. What happens here is that you can over work most of the regulators that are sold today(causing your hyper-ventilation). The best preforming regulators on the market have a balanced second stage (ScubaPro G250, Atomic T2, Zeagle tech, Beuchat Vx these Regulators are very smooth breathing even with a heavy work load. You could also maybe get into better shape.
Don't give-up or you will miss some of the best diving Calif. has to offer.

Jim Hoffmann
Scuba Toys
Scuba-Toys.com

PS, the best beach diving here in So Cal is in Oct. Nov. Dec. and Jan.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]