Re: Defining Buddy/Solo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 21, 2000 at 20:56:33:

In Reply to: Re: Defining Buddy/Solo posted by MHK on September 21, 2000 at 10:12:39:

(Michael wrote) All you guys continue to torture the definition of solo all you want . . .

Michael, if you're going to stand on a soapbox and preach that "Solo diving is dangerous," and expect to convert people to your point of view, then I think it's important to make sure we're all on the same wavelength because if you're talking apples and we're hearing oranges, there will never been any understanding or enlightenment, and hopefully that's at least part of the point of these discussions.

The phrases "solo diver" and "diving alone" are accepted differently in the diving community then the way you want to use them to drive home a point. To accuse others of "parsing language" smacks, to me, of the pot calling the kettle black.

As far as your contention of "If you are underwater without anyone else available to help should an emergency arise, you are solo . . ." although I would certainly agree that you are alone and I would certainly agree that you are just as much on your own (and less mentally prepared to do so) as the intentionally solo diver, I would have to diagree with your overall ocntention just as much as I would disagree with someone who said, "If you are underwater and run out of air, you're now a breath-holding diver."

While the contention may be technically accurate, the two situations are viewed differently by the diving community.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]