Re: What's this DIR stuff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerry Smith on September 25, 2000 at 19:36:48:

In Reply to: Re: DIR Question posted by AADIVER on September 25, 2000 at 18:34:08:

Frank,

Since I'm still a skeptic, you'll get a better answer from others, but here's what little I know.

DIR stands for "doing it right", which evolved from a gear set up called "Hogarthian" after Bill "Hogarth" Main, the guy who started it. It's the setup espoused by GUE and WKPP.

DIR purports to be the best method of setting up a diving rig. It involves such things s hose routing and mounting, breathing and passing a long hose instead of a standard octopus, minimizing clutter and drag and a lot more. It seems to make sense in the main.

I think that the problem I have with the concept is two fold. 1. It is preached like the WORD OF GODDD... Adherents tend to call non believers silly names,shutting down meaningful discussion. 2. It looks to me like it applies much better to the warm clear fresh water of North Florida sinks than the open pacific. Since reason #1 can be ignored, I'm trying to validate or invalidate reason #2. If you want the details of the system, do a search on "GUE" and follow the links to various DIR FAQ's.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]