Re: Beach diving entry techniques

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Hoffmann on October 02, 2000 at 15:46:42:

In Reply to: Beach diving entry techniques posted by Gary on October 02, 2000 at 13:17:36:

Gary, the first thing you need to do is evaluate the ocean conditions to determine if it is diveable for each member of the dive team. Check the surf, currents , visibility, entry, and exit points before deciding to dive (have a dive plan).
When making the entry or exit you need to get through the surf line area as fast as you can.
That is the danger zone and you shouldn't be standing fixing equipment in that area, you should be moving, either in or out(wait for the lull in the set and then go, don't stop).
Fins on Fins off: I train my students with fins on( the advanage of this method is that everything is in place when you enter the danger zone, if you have a knock down, you have your fins on ready to swim, the disadvanage is that you are a little slower moving through the surf zone. On the exit I train to leave everything in place fins stay on, reg. stays in your mouth, BC 1/3 full. You can either back on out or crawl out,if there is a knock down crawl out, but you don't take any equipment off till you are in dry sand, and keep moving).
The fins off method works to, but you need to be quick about it. The problem I see at the beach all the time, is that the divers are standing in the surf line putting there gear on. They need to be moving to get passed the break point of the waves, and then put their fins on. They also need to have everything else in place ready to go.
If you are having problem with this, take an Advanced class that has beach diving in it. Or if you want, I do a beach skindive with my new basic class at the beginning of every month,(come and join us).
The key on the beach dives is a good pre-dive evaluation and good exit and entry technique.

Good Luck,

Jim Hoffmann
NAUI 5888
PADI 6301
Scuba Toys

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]