Re: Mandatory use of nitrox in basic classes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on November 01, 2000 at 18:34:36:

In Reply to: Re: Mandatory use of nitrox in basic classes posted by MHK on November 01, 2000 at 14:36:44:

(Michael Kane wrote) Actually I'm not sure it clears it up. Did you mention to him that Bruce Weinke put a post out on the Tech list (and several others) that suggests that there is a movement towards mandating??? Moreover, it is very possible that this person [Jed] is unaware of it yet . . .

Michael, I realize that as a PADI DM, you may not be familiar with the people at NAUI. And since you are seemingly unwilling to take my word for it after I have called NAUI HQ to ask for the official position on this (let's face it - I've only been a NAUI instructor for 20 years so I haven't quite yet learned how the organization works), let me try to further clarify this.

1. Jed said NAUI is NOT considering this.
2. Jed is the Director of Training (as in ALL training) for NAUI. He's the #2 guy at NAUI and reports to Jim Bram, the NAUI President.
3. Bruce reports to Jed on these matters, not the other way around.
4. The report you quote from was just yesterday submitted to Jed for his comments and revisions.
5. Although Jed's name is on the report, my understanding/impression is that it was apparently written solely by Bruce.
6. When I talked to Jed at 2PM PST today, Jed (who had printed out but not yet reviewed Bruce's comments) was surprised to see the "going to nitrox" sentence as it doesn't reflect NAUI's thinking. (Jed also agreed with me that it was not worded well and might give someone the wrong impression.)
7. Jed's aware that Bruce posted it to the tech list. Bruce apparently jumped the gun a bit by doing that.
8. Just because it was posted doesn't make it accurate.
9. Jed repeated that NAUI has not, is not, and will not in the future consider mandating nitrox use in the basic class.

I realize you (and others) like tweaking my nose about nitrox and would jump for joy if my beloved NAUI (or anyone else) forced me to use the nitrox. Soprry to rain on your parade but in this case, it just ain't so.

This will be my last comment on this matter. If you'd like to continue exploring this flight of fancy, you go right ahead but I'd prefer to get back to discussing (even on a theoretical basis) issues that have some basis in reality and usefulness.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]