Re: The Cosmology of DIR in California Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on January 03, 2001 at 21:09:01:

In Reply to: Re: The Cosmology of DIR in California Diving posted by MHK on January 03, 2001 at 10:03:50:

Thank you for your patience. I need a 28 hour day.
As for 'regulations', my concerns come from earlier discussions about the Yukon.
It was not just developed as a result of diving fatalities in caves, it was also developed for cave diving. That is not a problem, but I have to question if those techniques are as universally applicable as you say. That is relevant and the basis of Part 3.
'what is it that you need for a 60' open water recreational dive that we don't need for a 400' dive???? Common sense would suggest that if we don't need it at 400' you don't need it at 60'..'
The convolution of this is what makes me nervous. (and look how I write) If I were to ask the question , I would phrase it as what don't I need at 60' that I would need at 400'. And that is a key point of my next post.
But far more interesting, is the restrictions on gear and habit mentioned in Part 2 and these are the kind of things I haven't been able to get clarified as yet.
1) Does DIR mean that if I want to use a wetsuit, I have to use an aluminum tank?
2) If I am lobster hunting, must I still wear a compass on my wrist?
3) Can I use a computer?
4) Can I dive when I know I'm not at 100%. I know if a dive will require 100%. It is a decision I have often had to make.
The issues about photog, hunting or beach diving, is that DIR seems to want to supercede the diving activity. 'You can beach dive with DIR.' No, the question is what can DIR do for my beach diving and the long swims that they entail. It just seems that DIR doesn't care... any.
More than that though, is always the mindset. Most of my diving is not a mission.
Thanx for the patience and your answers, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]