slow ascent rate

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on February 19, 2001 at 09:40:29:

In Reply to: Re: d. reduce safety stops posted by RabidYak on February 18, 2001 at 19:35:24:

First off, let me say that I am *no* expert at this. In fact, this entire post is parroting back something I read somewhere, and now can't remember where (so much for credit to the author).

I read a really good explanation of safety stops once, and I wish I could remember the reference. The author's basic point was that a safety stop "slowed" your ascent rate (decreased your average ascent rate). He/She was making a case for deeper stops. Basically, by making a series of stops as you ascend, you are increasing the time it takes, therefore decreasing the ascent rate. Since rapid ascent rates are bad, the leap was that slower 'average' ascent rates are good.

I have nothing to back this up, but it does sound like good sense to me, from my somewhat ignorant perspective. But I would have to agree with Wayne that macro-bubble formation is the key, not off-gassing.

Actually, does anyone have any facts for or against the urban legend about the frogmen getting the bends from being at 15-20fsw for too long? The most common version is a squad that was river running to blow up a bridge, and they spent so long on their DPVs at 20' that bad stuff happened. Comments? Fiction? Fact?

JRM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]