from my own world

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Clark on March 14, 2001 at 09:29:16:

In Reply to: Re: This is no pig hunt posted by Eric Frasco on March 14, 2001 at 01:28:59:

Eric,
I don't represent you and didn't claim to. I am not self serving. I do show up at those meetings and challenge the commercial fishermen in particular who don't think there is a need to cut back on their take at all. As far as hunters go I'm split on the issue. They take a miniscule number of fish in the big picture but they do target the bigger fish which spawn way more eggs than the smaller ones. I do like the fact that there is no by-catch or collateral damage done by a spearfisherman.
What's a "self made enviromentalist"?
As far as I am concerned the Channel Islands are the real world.
At the last meeting there were approximately 300 commercial fishermen, a handful of environmentalists, and one diver. I posted on this board that the meeting would take place but I don't think anyone made the trip. The meetings are heavily stacked in favor of commercial interests and recreational anglers. The only way the board knows about diver's concerns is to hear it in person or in a letter sent to them There is no way they will close down 100% of the preserve as the fishing industry is just too powerful, at least in those meetings.
I don't have an answer for your question about the Southern Channel Islands.
From my own world... we need to preserve parts of the wild sea for future generations who have the right to experience this special eosystem in all of its abundance.... and then pass it on to the next.
For info on the next public forum which is March 21 at 6:30 PM in Santa Barbara at the Fess Parker Doubletree Hotel. 633 East Cabrillo Blvd. in Santa Barbara. You can contect Greg Helms from MRWG at ghelms@psinet.com or call him: 805 687-2322

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]