Re: is it possible yor really that stupid-continued

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Walker on May 04, 2001 at 16:55:33:

In Reply to: Re: is it possible yor really that stupid-continued posted by seahunt on May 04, 2001 at 15:26:47:

Mike, thanks for the response. Yes, you can factor this in. Will it be 100% accurate, probably not. Is it better than following absolutely what your dive computor says, many feel it is.
MHK does it in a way that he can play around with several factors as I do. These generally include a variety of gas mixtures. This is not an issue for single tank diving. But you can actually do this with a $6.00 set of waterproof tables and a cheap bottom timer as well. The problem with the computer is that people rely on them and rarely learn any further about a serious issue, decompression.

All you need to do is get some basics down. Understanding typical no decompression limits is a start. Most people choose the Navy limits. Basic understanding of physiology should be next. Ascent rates or curves are after that. And the ability to use common factors to modify your profile while underwater becomes easy.

I have been on both sides of the fence on this subject. Like most of you, I thought this was all nonesense. Then I realized that I had been bending myself, often. We didn't recognize these types of bends as being your typical clinical symptoms. But just the same, I was damaging my body.
I remember Carl Huggins doing a doppler on me about seven years ago and him chuckling about my high grade four bubble count. The coralation was finally made between how I felt after a dive and the profile and gas choices I made.

Today I really pay attention to this each dive. I am fortunate to have a freind with a really nice doppler and we get to play with it every once and a while.

My best advice is to pay close attention to your body and then adjust you dives acordingly.

With lots of Love, John

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]