Re: is it possible yor really that stupid-continued

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Walker on May 04, 2001 at 18:23:15:

In Reply to: Re: is it possible yor really that stupid-continued posted by Steve on May 04, 2001 at 17:17:20:

Steve, you had made a comment to MHK that said "most of us weekend warriors can't take the risk of getting bent and need the insurance of having the computer to advise us of our O2 and N2 levels.

That is quit true when you said we must monitor issues ourselves. But I never intended to make you feel cheated for buying a computer, just that computers make diver complacent.

Oxygen levels are a whole other issue that we could get into if you would like, but a little hint for you. Oxygen limits are far more misunderstood that nitrogen limits in the body. The limits set by Hamilton and NOAA are based of unconclusive testing. If you look at some of the rewsults of human testing you will see little conclusive results. You can find some of this in Bennet and Elliots book.

Catecholimine levels vary greatly due to Emersion, Cold, CO2, Stress both mental as well as physical. It is believed that these catecholimines are rapidly converted to a toxic chemical to the brain, and that chemical is hydrogen peroxide.

You gave us a good example when you said that your computor alarms you on ascent rate, O2 levels and air remaining. These are things a diver should plan for and pay attention to all the time. Waiting for the computor alarm to go off seems complacent to me, and I'm not trying to piss you off, just trying to help.

I was trained as a DAN feild research coordinator, and I don't know which scientist you are refering to that you send your downloaded info to. Could you share some details because I am sincerly intersted?

A little bio- I have been diving since 1977 and I have bought many different computers. The last of them being a Mares Gaurdian, Cochran Nemisis, Uwatec, USD Monitor, Orca Skinny dipper and probably a couple others. I have also purchased several bottom timers. I currently have about 7 decompression programs loaded into this computor that I'm sending you this message from. These programs are only tools.

I am telling you this because I want you to know that I do know something about these critters and their many feature. I have downloaded many of my own profiles, looked at plenty of temperatures, and seen plenty of maximum depths. I just don't feel that the computer is necessary.

John

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]