Re: STEVE- Meyer-Overton hypothosis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on June 14, 2001 at 19:56:06:

In Reply to: Re: STEVE- Meyer-Overton hypothosis posted by Steve on June 14, 2001 at 18:16:39:

Steve;

First, thanks for actually presenting some information rather than simply personal opinion. This is additive and appreciated.

Second, please go back and reread my posts on this topic. I said there was lots of controversy on the subject. Your post supports this. I said that based upon lipid solubility, oxygen is more narcotic than nitrogen. This is true since oxygen has greater lipid solubility than nitrogen. I never said that lipid solubility was science's last word on the narcotic properties of oxygen. I also said that my personal diving experience supported my view that upping the oxygen content didn't relieve narcsosis. As such, I believe that raising the oxygen percentage in EANx does not ameliorate narcosis. Your post presents opinions from knowledgable sources supporting this, as well.

It seems to me you've done a good job of defending your scepticism on the basis that science hasn't settled the issue one way or the other. What you have failed to do is give anyone a reason to change their current thinking (bias) on the subject one way or the other. Not your fault, certainly. Just the nature of imperfect information.

What I can't comprehend, particularly in light of the information you yourself presented, is how my assertion that nitrogen is narcotic is a "myth" or "foolish" as you have characterised them. Open to debate, certainly, wrong possibly, but certainly no more foolish than the opposing point of view. If you want to exhange views backed by homework, great. Let's do it. If you want to just be a tough guy smart mouth, talk to yourself.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]