Re: exactly!...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 26, 2001 at 14:37:13:

In Reply to: Re: exactly!... posted by kelphead on June 26, 2001 at 14:19:47:

Kelphead,

I've been trying to keep the flames to a minimum lately so let's see if we can keep that going and work through your decision.. FTR, I disagree with how you are handling it and I'll state my case based on facts and not delve into the minutae of what and why you were answering someone else about..

But I have to take a second to point out something that is very dangerous and I hope you'll reconsider it.. You wrote..

or if one clips
one's console to the anchor line for easy visual reference,
while holding onto the line w/the now free hand

This is a potentially deadly idea if you are in any kind of swells.. The entire idea behind a jon line is that you create a distance between yourself and the anchor line. The purpose of that is so in swells you don't bounce up and down and are able to hold a stop, whether it be 3 minutes at 15' or whether it be an extended deco stop at 20'... BY clipping yourself ( probably a metal to metal connection) if a huge swell comes you are screwed...

That aside let's look at a different way to do the same thing you are doing..

Assuming you clip your SPG off to your left hip and if you have your computer/depth gauge on you right forearm this is more efficient because it allows you to keep that uniform approach whether or not there is currents, swells and you can do it consistently from dive to dive irrespective of dive conditions..

Whether ascending or descending at some point you'll want to go up/down the line.. BY holding the line with the left hand you have a constant view of your forearm [ ie; critical information].. Pretty much the least important piece of equipment that most put into the bulky consoles is the SPG [ I'm talking sepcifically with respect to ascents and descents].. When you descend you should have a full tank so accessing your SPG is not a vital concern.. When ascending you have already called the dive and if you are doing your gas management properly you've left the bottom with sufficent gas to surface. Accordingly, your SPG isn't providing vital information during ascent...

Now let's look at what is important on ascent/descent.. Time and depth.. Those are the 2 most critical pieces of information you need.. And the other important aspect of an ascent/descent is your inflation source..

By doing it as I suggest you always have one hand { ie; your left] to control the adding/venting of your inflator hose and the other hand is free to do anything, including but not limited to, holding the line and all the while you have access to the critical information without tieing up your other hand..

That's my thinking and you are free to do with it what you wish but I don't want to get into a war about it.. If you don't like my reasoning, do as you wish...

I just think if you think it through you'll see that it is safer and more efficient and it doesn't need to be *better* or *right -v- wrong..

It just gives you options...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]