Great Whites at Catalina

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on June 29, 2001 at 13:24:40:

I keep thinking about that shark that was speared over there last week. I think it was a shame that it happened. I can't really blame the guy, but i sense that the shark was not coming in for a kill. There have been GWS sightings at the island for as long as anyone can remember. I have never heard of an attack at Catalina. I sense that the current 'resident' clan has had ample opportunity to strike a swimmer if they were so inclined. At catalina they have a good source of food, and being an apex predator, i'm sure that they are keyed into their common prey and don't deviate unless there are extraordinary circumstances.

As i understand it, the spear entered the mouth of the shark. If the shark was only wounded and did not die, the spear may inhibit it from feeding properly. As the shark depletes its own reserves, it will deviate from its normal feeding pattern and prey. It seems to me that in the days and weeks to follow, that individual (if he is still alive) may seek out prey that he would not otherwise consider. This is entirely speculation on my part, but there may be a heightened risk to divers at Catalina in the coming weeks. Any thoughts on this?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]