Re: Southern California Marine Protected Area proposals posted by DFG

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MikeR on July 10, 2001 at 21:54:27:

In Reply to: Southern California Marine Protected Area proposals posted by DFG posted by Eric Frasco on July 10, 2001 at 09:10:00:

Thanks Eric for your message. I'm amazed that anybody would support the Marine Life Protection act in its current form. This a typical example of government playing to the emotional issues and alienating the very people who are paying them to manage the resource. The Palos Verdes area closure alone will virtually eliminate spearfishing and Lobster diving in the area. This is an area that already has limited access for the most part. Who are they protecting it for? Not for me or most of my friends. I believe in a balanced use of our resources and the freedom to pursue all forms of recreation. I've seen lobster taken in this area year after year both by divers and, in spite of the heavy pressure by commrcial lobstermen, see no reason why next year won't be as abundant as the last. I don't spearfish but wouldn't think of restricting their access to the same waters I dive in. The DFG is funded by fishing and hunting license sales. I personally buy both every year and am disgusted by those people who feel they are entitled to an opinion while paying $0 towards supporting our resources. They better be prepared to assume the financial load themselves if license sales keep going down.
Reduce the size and quantity of the protected areas so all parties can share and task the DFG to manage the resources with limits and size restrictions to maintain healthy balanced populations.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]