Re: Here de profile

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 20, 2001 at 09:33:21:

In Reply to: Re: Here de profile posted by seahunt on July 19, 2001 at 22:15:28:

Posted by seahunt on July 19, 2001 at 22:15:28

The tables go in ranges of times and groups of depths. Dives go in minutes and feet.

When you get into writing computer algorithms you'll note a few things..

First off, it's important to note that the algorithm for the tables and the algorithm for computers are the same.. The only difference is that the subset C algorithm that is used for computers calculates underwater and does so in 5 minute intervals..

The 5 minutes is important, because when you are adjusting, or computing on the fly, you try to bear in mind during your dive 5 minute intervals..

Deco theory is no where near the exact science that some would have you believe and one of the frustrating things to me is that most people don't understand that.. If you put a few new diver's together, and quite frankly some experienced guys as well, and they compare NDL limits and believe it's such an exact science it drives me nuts..

If you look at a comparison you'll see what I'm talking about

Let's look at a 90' dive and the various NDL limits...

U.S. Navy = 30 minutes
Buhlman = 22 minutes
Spencer = 20 minutes
DCIEM = 20 minutes
Tiny Bubble = 18 minutes
NMRI = 10 minutes

Those are straight off the tables so how can anyone seriously argue that exact precision is required????

Than factor in that if you sit out between 33 minutes and 39 minutes you can do X minutes on teh next dive or 1:09 and 1:39 you can deal X, and so on.. Look at how wide the variables are..

All the computer does is calculate what you program it to do.. And the current models provide for such wide variables but most cling to the pixals on their computer as if they were biblical..

I say learn and understand the stuff and you'll see by adding deeps stops, moving the deco curve that you won't need to worry so much about pixals..

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]