Re: 10 years old Certified Diver.

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on August 06, 2001 at 17:29:42:

In Reply to: Re: 10 years old Certified Diver. posted by Dalia on August 06, 2001 at 17:04:28:

Dalia,

As I noted, I don't know you but I get a *feel* for your idealogy.. I *see* your point of view I just disagree with both you and PADI...

It seems to me what harm could from making a 10 year old wait??? Judgement, problem solving ability and calm during panic is necessary during diving.. That applies equally as well to a 30' dive as it does to a 300' dive.. As we note often on this list, a diver is VERY well capable of emolosing from 30'..

Panic sets in quick, the DM, parent or buddy's head could turn for a few seconds and that person is paniced and bolting to the surface...

What I don't get is that most parents that I know do NOT allow there 10 year old to walk home from school, do NOT allow them to stay home absent supervision, but will allow them to put themselves underwater after a couple of day class....

I don't doubt that you have your heart in the right place, I just very strongly doubt the sensibility of PADI offering this program for the very simple fact of gaining market share and getting diver's, as young as possible, into the PADI fold and using patches, tatoo's and Seal Team towels as the lure...

Would it hurt to wait a few years????

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]