Re: I completely agree that NitrOx is a better mix than air for scuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by George Austin on November 18, 2001 at 16:50:03:

In Reply to: I completely agree that NitrOx is a better mix than air for scuba posted by Karl S. on November 18, 2001 at 16:18:33:

Sure--all your points are pretty much what we see as the overwhelming benefit of EANx. The problem, as I see it is twofold. First, its a matter of economics. If a shop can't fill your bottles with mix, they may or may not have much of an interest it teaching the beginner how to use it without dying. Second, Nitrox is out there in diving esoterica with regard to how the new diver perceives his initial investment in the "hobby" By that, I mean usually a new diver has a hard enough time figuring out how to thread his tank strap, let alone diving a mix that he only (if ever) sees the most experienced divers using. I recommend taking the rec EAN course before even the Advanced course. Why not? I also recommend a maximum depth of 100fsw for any diver that has not taken Advanced Nitrox course. Purely my own idiosyncrisy on that point. And with those parameters in place, recreational nitrox fits like a glove. I've made many dives to beyond 100fsw on air, and while I'm still alive to talk about it, I realise that its just not one of my more brilliant ideas. They say plan your dive and dive your plan, well I take this to heart and for me, planning a dive beyond 100fsw on air is an issue that would never come up in the first place. Can it be done? Of course. But the benefits must out weigh the risk. And in strictly recreational diving in So. California it usually would'nt.

Hearty regards and good diving
GCA.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]