I think you need to search the archives a bit more

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on November 28, 2001 at 23:43:59:

In Reply to: Re: MHK Supporters (i.e. the silent majority) Let Your Presence Be Known! posted by David on November 28, 2001 at 22:29:57:

MHK is an experienced diver and he has shared his opinions here. He has also ruffled a few feathers and had his ruffled, too. It is a big harsh world. He has threatened to leave before and probably will again. Chris has threatened to, and acted upon his threats, ban him before this and may do it again.

The problem I have with what you wrote is that many other experienced divers are here and some will not come forward for fear of public ridicule if they have different opinions from MHK. MHK has becoem the most visible spokesman for a diving style that is not well established here. In fact many common local practices are polar opposites of the DIR way of diving.

Is DIR safer? Probably a lot safer based on the fact that DIR s practiced on extremely dangerous diving and they usually live to tell about it. Would we all be "safer" if we dove DIR in our normal recreational dives locally? Probably, but it would interfere with some of the local diving activities such as hunting, photography, and wreck stripping -- oops I meant to say rubble exploration.

But the fact remains that those who have disagreed with MHK's all or nothing attitude toward DIR or his insistance that everyone else is just a statistic waiting to have his/her body recovered, have been attacked in unprofessional ways. This is why some here have become his detractors. It is a shame, really. The attitude has damaged the message. Some have come forward to counter attack as a way to pressure MHK into changing his style. That has not worked and in fact increased the hate-speak here. Others have just walked away or shifted into lurker status.

I miss them. Folks like Eins and Kelphead had much to offer, but seem to have decided not to hang out at our playground. This is a shame as each of us brings a different perpective and widens the collective frame of reference.

So you want to make a name as a fan of a particular poster? You are simply stirring up the ashes and doing no good. Do some reading, gain some persepctive, and do not try to get us to take sides. Many of us have typed things we regret typing. Some like Chris, Ken Kurtis, MHK and I have cooled off and apologized for offending others. Lets ALL try to ignore the personalities and discuss diving. That is the common thread we all share (although I do wonder of GLnSD is a certified diver - That is a joke in case you wondered -- you see there was this Concorde - er well nevermind). So make like a friendly diver and do not stir us up David.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]