Frustrating 1st Lobster Dive (long)

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on December 04, 2001 at 22:38:42:

Thought I might try posting (venting?) my frustration here in the hope that those of you with more experience / wisdom might shed some light on the art of collecting bugs off the Southern California coast? My name is Mark, and I'm a wannabe lobster diver. And although I'm a transplant to Utah, and an avid flyfisher and skier, I'm a native Southern Californian (born in Torrance, grew-up in Whittier and free-dived, spearfished and surfed in North San Diego County) - and the Ocean still owns me. Given that I now reside in Utah, and the Great Salt Lake is nearby - there isn't a lot of great diving here (the two exceptions being the Crater, a 94 degree hot spring located in the Wasatch mountains, and Bonneville Seabase, a collection of salt water hot springs in the West desert. The latter has transplanted tropical fish, including 2 nurse sharks) so unless I want to dive the local reservoirs for crawdads, I have to make periodic trips to California (and elsewhere) to get my fill of diving. Anyway, last October I did my first lobster dive off the front side of Catalina, diving N. Arrow Point, Hen Rock, Long Point and the Italian Gardens - but got nothing but shorts. And ever since that initial lobster dive, I contemplated making a 2nd attempt, and either revisiting Catalina (e.g. Indian Rock, Bird Rock, Pirates Coves,Isthmus High Spot, Memory Peak, etc.), Palos Verdes (Malaga Cove?)or some of the other channel islands (Cortes Bank?). I don't even know whether going this late in the season would be worth it for a Novice lobster diver? Are there still good bugs to be had? And WHERE can a new lobster diver Go to have some level of success?

Let me ask a few more questions. When my diving friends and I visited Catalina the last weekend in October, we ended-up doing two night dives - one at 6:30 PM and another at 10:30 PM. And while we saw quite a few legal size lobster, the majority of them were too far back under ledges and in crevices, that they were out of reach. And while some could've been reached, it would've required removing the tank/BC. So, again - I'm NEW to this type of diving, and there's not many resources here in Utah to consult on lobster diving. I read the new book by Kristine and Steve Barsky, "California Lobster Diving" prior to my October trip -- but I'm wondering IF we went out too early, or IF we were just in unproductive areas?!? I had fun, but came back a bit discouraged - and a little frustrated. And I wondered whether there were other places to visit in Southern California, besides the fish market section of the local Ralphs supermarket, to get fresh lobster? I also wondered whether there were any trick(s)that veteran lobster divers use for finding the large, legal sized lobster ... and/or attracting them (e.g. chumming w/ abalone trimmings, chicken parts or Little Friskies cat food, etc.)? And I was especially interested what other divers REALLY do to coax the LUNKER bugs out of their holes? I think that I've scoured this BBS for all the threads on lobster hunting, and I've read quite a few interesting things (e.g. What's this about using a lobster whistle?, especially about how the East Coast and Florida divers get some of their bugs (e.g. sticks w/ panty hose, mops, rubbing the lobster with a speargun sling, etc.)... I'd just like to hear from some of you, and have you impart some of your wisdom, experience (insight) and suggestions (recommendations). For instance, if my group and I had gone out later, like between 2 AM - 4 AM, would we've had better hunting?

All I know is that I'd like another shot at the 2001/2002 season. But I'd like to make the next trip (possibly a January trip) a better, more informed expedition. Because unlike those of you that live within a couple of hours of the coast, it can be a small expense with airfare, shuttle van (or car rental), charter on a dive boat, and possibly a hotel (to wait the 12-24 hrs before flying back). So, before my friends and I invest in another trip to Southern California, I would REALLY appreciate any information about local beach dives, and/or dive sites off of the Channel Islands (particularly Catalina), charters with good success ratios and track history, insider tips for bug diving [e.g. how do you successfully distract a bug w/ an u/w light?, how do you coax the legal sized bugs out when they begin to move back, etc.?], the 2001 season success to-date (e.g. ... can novices still find good, legal sized bugs this late in the season?), etc. ... that would improve our chances of successful lobster diving.

Thanks!

- Mark

mgreer@novell.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]