Re: Dangers of Solo diving vs. buddy diving.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on December 05, 2001 at 20:58:20:

In Reply to: Dangers of Solo diving vs. buddy diving. posted by Ed on December 05, 2001 at 17:11:40:

Ed,
Despite having changed my position lately toward accepting inherent risks of solo diving, I basically agree with what you are saying. I also feel that diving solo makes me much more responsible for my actions and more aware of the risks, all of which leads to more responsible diving practices.

That being said, I often wonder how casual buddies cover the dive briefing. I doubt that strict communication procedures are covered, nor are procedures on what to do when the buddy is missing. Most of all, I doubt that it is clearly and mandatorily agreed that each one monitors the other diver at all times during the dive, and that this agreement is meant, not just nodded to with a 'yeah, right!' I know that once the diving excitement takes over, no diver will just watch her buddy, but at least it should be discussed and awarely agreed upon that it is the responsibility of each one to watch over the other diver.

I wonder if your buddy from hell would have left you like he did if this was firmly agreed upon--and maybe with emphasizing that the responsible diver would have the load of searching and even reporting a missing diver.

But then, I know that there are some grossly irresponsible individuals around, it is hard to grasp.

Arno

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]