uh, Brad...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on January 10, 2002 at 21:27:47:

In Reply to: Chris posted by Brad on January 10, 2002 at 20:50:19:

As someone who spent their wasted youth learning about intertidal ecology and a faithful follower of brother Wheeler J. North, pardon me if I say you might not have the whole story about kelp correct. Actually, beyond that, I've seen kelp holdfasts devestated by El Nino grow back in a year off of Point Loma. Also, the harvesters do very little damage as they only harvest the canopy. Different things have hurt kelp in different places. Anywhere near LA, the kelp is hurt most by pollution. Notice that the kelp is finally returning to Santa Monica Bay, ie. off Sunset Blvd (Gladstones), as the bay has gotten cleaned up some. Still it is nothing like it was in the 70's. Also, off Palos Verdes when the urchins did so much damage to the kelp, eventually the original cause was laid at the feet of pollution. We may see this year. I hate the El Nino because of what it does to the kelp. At the same time, you'd be surprised how little kelp effects the critters of the reef. It is used mainly as a reference point for the fish to find the reef. Only a few critters use it directly. What matters most is the micro-topographical variation or that is to say, how many hiding places there are in the reef rocks for the fish to hide in. That's why I suggest for bored divers to put rocks where they will make a fish house. Just set a rock on top of a crack.
As far as the Marine Protection Areas, just be glad that somebody found something that works. For a long time, there just was no answer as to what could be done and might work. That was figured out pretty recently, but worked so well that it has caught on quickly.
Enjoy your diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]