Re: Swimming, Diving and Fitness

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob Davison on July 24, 2002 at 07:38:02:

In Reply to: Swimming, Diving and Fitness posted by Kendall Raine on July 23, 2002 at 10:07:17:

"I've noted at least one major training agency does not require open water students to demonstrate the ability to swim unaided-without mask and fins ...I don't know about others. "
The Y has an ENTRY and EXIT set of swimming requirements. We typically ask potential students to demonstrate the exit requirements (300yds no time limit, no stroke requirement, 40' UW breathold swim and 15minute float, tread-water, just don't die exercise. This allows the staff to assess very general watermanship skills. It helps identify which students may need more assistance and additional 1-1 work. However, there are always exceptions....I had a world-class swimmer (just missed the Olympics) who was scared to death to dive in water with "fish" ... and the Vietnamese gentleman who couldn't swim a lick when he showed up the 1st evening and by the end of the class had joined a masters swim club AND started his journey to become an exceptional scuba diver and AI.

When you remove ALL the equipment a student that is comfortable in their swimming and aquatic skills typically are better prepared to become divers. One of our former AI's (a French national) related that the European dive clubs typically practiced free-diving and swimming exercises in the "off-season" to improve their skills. I think thta's a great idea.

Bob
YMCA Instructor

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]