Swimming, Diving and Fitness

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on July 23, 2002 at 10:07:17:

I've noted at least one major training agency does not require open water students to demonstrate the ability to swim unaided-without mask and fins. In that case, the student has a choice of demonstrating the ability to swim unaided or with the use of mask and fins. I don't know about others.

Call me old fashioned, but this seems odd to me. Yes, scuba diving is an equipment dependent sport wherein it's assumed mask and fins are used, but to not require some demonstration of basic swimming proficiency unaided strikes me as carrying the dependency issue too far. At the very least, seems to me, an unaided swim test is an indicator to the instructor of who is and who is not comfortable in the water and a gauge of basic fitness.

The nice thing about not being an instructor is I can suggest how things should be without having an economic interest in my opinions. As such, I can be as narrow minded or dogmatic as I like.

Recognizing that, I would hope to hear from others, and instructors in particular, about their views and practices regarding basic swimming skills and fitness. Specifically: 1) Do you require your students to demonstrate swimming skills without the use of aids? If so, in what form (e.g. distance, time and distance, confined water, open water, etc.). If you have an objective measure, what do you do with someone who can't meet that standard? 2) Do you require your students to demonstrate some form or meet some level of cardiovascular fitness? If so, what form? Again, what about those for whom the challenge is too great? If not, is it because there is no time, it's not relevant, not required or not conducive to the pass rate?

In a recent thread on beach diving, Ken Kurtis noted that beach dives in the OW course are a major turn-off to new divers and the time spent on them could be put to better use. I recall one reason he cited was the hassle of waddling through the sand and surf with all the gear on. Many people found that uncomfortable and the discomfort colored their perspective on the whole sport. It seems to me one reason it's so uncomfortable is the physical/cardio demands of the march to the sea and back.

I'm not suggesting going back to the old days of doing push-ups in full gear, and a dive course is certainly not the place to redress poor fitness, but have we gone too far in the other direction? In a nation of couch potatoes, have divers become simply a subset of the general population? What do you do with a student who is so clearly out of shape getting dressed tires them? Do you suggest they rest and catch their breath, or take up another sport? I've done my share of towing tired divers back to the boat and, several times, I wondered what went through the certifying instructor's mind.

How about smokers? No one suggests smoking is healthy, but how many instructors have advised smokers not to dive? How many of you have seen instructors light up?

What do you think?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]