Re: Thanks, Chuck

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on August 21, 2002 at 08:20:34:

In Reply to: Re: Thermodynamic rollercoaster... posted by Chuck Tribolet on August 20, 2002 at 21:46:56:

I had no idea Karl was serious about the thermodynamics thing. The statement was so ridiculous I figured it had to be a joke. Live and learn, I guess.

Something else on topic, however, is hose care overall. That includes making sure the strain reliefs get pulled down and flushed during clean up. This keeps the swedges in good shape and allows for close inspection where the swedge and hose meet. It's at that juncture that most of the hose problems occur. I replace all my hoses every few years even if they aren't showing particular wear. I also carry at least one replacement hose for each application (HP, LP inflator, reg) if I'm going out for more than one day. For out of town or remote locations, I carry at least one complete back up reg. To some it might sound like overkill but to me it's cheap insurance. In 30 years I've never missed a dive because of an equipment problem.

As for o rings, care needs to be taken not to apply too much lubricant. A little on the finger, rub the o ring and then wipe off is enough to keep the o ring slippery and supple. Both silicone and Crystolude are dirt and grit magnets. On frequently exposed surfaces, like the male end of a reg hose or an SPG spool, that grit can get into the first stage or damage threads.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]