Re: for what it's worth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on October 01, 2002 at 16:10:45:

In Reply to: Whose treatment standard is that? posted by Wayne on October 01, 2002 at 13:29:46:

Post dive O2 is pretty common in deco diving as a way of dealing with the big release of bubbles caused by first the ascent from 20 feet to the surface and then the climb on the boat with heavy gear. O2 serves to maximize inert gas elimination by preserving a gradient. After a big dive I always ascend the last 20 feet at 2 fpm, breathe O2 in on the surface for 3-5 minutes and, if my Doppler score is high, breathe O2 on the boat for 30 minutes.

A 30 minute post dive O2 "soak" can substantially lower post dive Doppler bubble scores. Hydration is pretty obvious, as well. These may not be "standards," but they are practices because they work.

I think Bennett's point about course of treatment is that surface O2 is a drug and needs to be treated with respect and understanding. Just breathing O2 doesn't necessarily mean you don't later get bent. O2 can delay the onset of symptoms, but O2 cannot "mask" anything.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]