Re: I agree completely

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by finfan on November 18, 2002 at 06:11:01:

In Reply to: Re: I follow your logic posted by msblucow on November 17, 2002 at 17:49:58:

I never have liked gill netting. One look at Mexico and anyone can see the effects.

That said and you know my line - I think the solution again is more than just a couple of initiatives. Commercial fishing has to be re-thought (both on method and take). I also have as much disdain for long liners.

I think there should be room for those who desire to make a living off the sea, but it needs to be balanced. The methods like long lining and gill netting are not selective in what they take - size or species. That needs to be addressed.

Besides all of the other stuff we have already debated as to impact, technology simplpy has allowed the commercials to outpace the hatch. Unfortunately, I don't see us solving the worlds population problems, so putting initiatives in place to lower take and increase hatch seems to me to be the best way to compensate for the technology advantage that take has right now.

That's what has me up in arms over the entire reserve thing - based on what I've read and heard it sure seems that DFG is going to rely on the reserve as the "sole" answer. Personally, I think we are making a hugh mistake allowing them that luxury.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]