Re: What would you have done?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on January 17, 2003 at 13:57:42:

In Reply to: Re: What would you have done? posted by Chuck Tribolet on January 16, 2003 at 19:41:02:

Chcuk,

It seems to me you may not have read my postings of the details in the "200 psi . . . maybe not" post below so let me answer your question by essentially repeating some of what I posted below.

1. "Out-of-air" means zero on the guage. 200 psi is NOT out-of-air. The policy is simple and straightforward: If you run out of air, you're done diving for the day.

2. The diver in question surfaced 150 yards from the boat with ZERO air. At no time while we observed him kicking back did he ever put the reg in his mouth to breathe.

3. The policy is well-known to this diver as he's been diving with us before and it's a standard part of our pre-trip briefing, which this guy attended. (And just to short-circuit the next question, YES, it was covered in the briefing. I was there as well and heard the polciy correctly dilineated.)

The underlying question is here is: At what level does a diver's carelessness &/or lack of planning make you, the DM, uncomfortable enough that you take some sort of action, and what should that action be?

In our case, "out-of-air" is the benchmark and "done diving for the day" is the action.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]