Posted by northcoast diver on January 29, 2005 at 19:03:23:
In Reply to: The DM screwed up Dans a millionaire posted by dips in on January 28, 2005 at 09:12:17:
There is enough blame to go around:
1) Dan thought he was a trained scuba diver, and found out he should never have been in the water that day.
2) Dan had none of the safety gear necessary for boat diving (horn/sausage/mirror/light).
3) Dan did not have a buddy with him that day.
4) Dan was not qualified to solo dive.
5) Dan's buddies did not take their buddy assignment seriously.
6) Dan's buddies did not report him missing.
7) The D/M could not count to 20 after the first dive.
8) After the 2nd dive the D/M counted to 20 just fine, and therefore the USCG search was activated at the wrong dive site.
9) None of the Coasties suspected that Dan could have been lost at the previous site, and did not search both sites.
10) The Captain did not have anyone verify the count.
11) No one else on the boat noticed that Dan was missing until after the second dive.
12) No one noticed Dan's tank missing.
13) The California boats do not use bracelets yet.
I am sure the insurance companies will settle. However, if it went to trial, it would be very lively.
The good news is that Dan made it back alive. Good news for his family and friends. Good news for the public, that loves happy endings. The lawsuit would have been for much higher had it been Mrs Dan suing for wrongful death.
Capt Ray is famous, no one holds him to blame personally, and the local industry is supporting his continued business. So his insurance rates will go up a little, no big deal. Its like free advertising, only not quite free.
Post a Followup