diver.net

Re: PADI news...

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on August 18, 2005 at 12:24:36:

In Reply to: PADI news... posted by Dwill on August 18, 2005 at 12:14:10:

International PADI lost the appeal to their suit, one that should never have been filed in the first place and one that caused a lot of embarrasment to PADI affiliates. The case is exactly what it appeared to be at first look, a big bully trying to get their way even though there was no grounds for it.

On July 13, 2005, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled against International PADI in its appeal of the United States District Court for Central District of California's ruling in International PADI's suit against Diverlink.

They played dirty along the way and they were chastized by two federal judges in different districts for their unethical and improper behavior.

International PADI should now pay Diverlink's legal expenses as ordered by the United States District Court for the Central District of California which were approximately $197,000 prior to the appeal and are now approximately $339,000.

I was never worried for an instant from the time I was served until I received the outcome of the appeal recently. From out of the west, a defending angel appeared (in the form of Dotty Vidal), who took on my case with no expectation of getting paid. Nevertheless, one could not ask for better representation. The first thing PADI did is object to her as my counselor, perhaps because she knows where the bodies are buried and which skeletons are in the closet (she has sued them before).

Since International PADI's attorneys charge considerably more than she does (about twice her rate), we estimate that this suit cost PADI about a million dollars in fees (once they pay her).

That makes me question PADI's business judgment, wasting a million dollars on a suit that could not be won and demonstrating bullying practices. PADI is truly the Microsoft of diving. Their ethics and practices are without question and have been made quite clear. Unfortunately, neither reflect well on them.

Perhaps they will learn a lesson or two. When you go around pushing people around, sometimes the universe pushes back. No one likes a bully.

The fat lady has sung. It's over. Now that it is over, I may have more to say on the subject (soon).

Eddie

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.