diver.net

more drysuit questions

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by divinotter on December 28, 2005 at 18:13:47:

Talking about dry versus wetsuits is like debating republican versus Democrat- evryone has a strong feeling about it- but- having said that- I wonder if it not only depends on the kind of diving - but on the kind of experiences the diver is dealing with. I remember being at point Lobos in 49 degrees in a not good wetsuit and staying in for 49 minutes- just because it was all so new and different- still, my hands and face were almost purple coming out- here's my point-

Drysuits don't cover face and hands- And aren't they what gets cold first- I've heard people say that a drysuit is only as warm as the undergarments and that your hands and face still get cold- isn't that what you need the most? Hands to grab the dive ladder or your equipment and a face or head to make good decisions- when my face hurts from the cold- I'm no longer having fun- no matter how warm the rest of me might be- Also-didn't mom always say to put on your hat and gloves so you don't get cold- and didn't the science guys say most heat is lost through face and hands- if so- what good is a drysuit in the long run?

I'm not trying to start something- I really am just curious- for all those times I've actually considered going with more baggage and going drysuit-

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to