diver.net

A few thoughts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 22, 2006 at 23:28:00:

My initial post was made to open a dialogue about the merits of deep diving, and the manner with which many embark on such a dive. FTR, I think Tim always exercises prudent judgement and I have no quarrels with Tim in that regard. I also hold the Sea Divers in high regard, despite what some are advancing. Also, I think whether Elaine has ever been bent or not is irrelevant.

My purpose, despite Elaine's suggestion, isn't to sell classes [ FTR, I don't teach the Tech 1 level classes so I fail to see Elaine's point ]. The purpose was clearly stated, and was done with the caveat that it's an important discussion, one I had hoped we could remain focused on and put aside scores that have been sidelined for many years. Obviously I was wrong in thinking we could have an intelligent discussions based solely on the merits of the position(s) advanced. I seriously quesion the ability of some to discuss issues based solely on the merits. I've never met Elaine, I've never had any exchanges with her on any lists, and have absolutely no clue whatsoever why she would fear posting a trip report as a result of anything I discuss on a BBS. The entire notion is makes no sense to me.

With that said, the salient questions and points I raised have been ignored in favor of trying to drag the debate into a mud slinging contest. I went out of my way to be polite, deffernetial and careful in my comments. It seems to me that some would rather that I don't raise questions about diving deeply using protocols that have been shwon to be less the optimal. Points such as gas density, C02 retention, added narcosis remain without defense, so why is it that a BBS that purports to be about discussing California Scuba lacks the wherewithal to confront the issues that directly relate to our local community?

It has been said that some of the divers that belong to this club have been diving since before I was born. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but as a matter of reference when I was born my mother drove a car that didn't have power brakes or didn't have power steering, but since then advances in technology have all but rendered that type of automobile antiquated so why shouldn't divers take advantage of the same type of technological advances that renders the "old style" aggressive type diving antiquated?

What has been interesting for me to watch in this thread has been the steadfast reluctance to have any discussion on the merits. If what is being done is so practical why not discuss the issue(s)??

I'll be teaching in Chicago until Monday so hopefully when I return they'll be some meaningful discussion about ways to embrace safer and more efficient ways to approach these type of dives. I'm not sure why there is such a reluctance to look at things from a different perspective..

Regards,

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.