diver.net

Interesting lobster regulation

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 11, 2007 at 23:23:20:

Tim Burke and i were talking tonight about lobster opening dates. I happened to go to the DF&G website (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faqindx.asp#spinylobster) and saw this interesting tidbit. Pay particular attention to the last sentencein the answer:

Q. What is the daily bag limit for lobster? The possession limit?

A. According to Section 29.90(b) T14, CCR, the daily recreational bag limit is seven lobsters per person. Additionally, Section 1.17 states that no more than one daily bag limit may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized (see Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, Section 27.15 T14, CCR), regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen or otherwise preserved. This means that if you have a limit of seven lobsters at home, you cannot go out and get more lobsters until the first limit is disposed of in some way (eaten, given away, etc).

I don't for one minute think anyhone's been busted for this . . . BUT . . . I certainly know of divers who boast of having a freezer-full of lobsters at home and continue to take more and that's always bugged me a bit. (And admittedly, I'm a non-hunter.) Take what you can eat.

Thoughts? And more importantly, if this interpretation is correct, will it change the way you take lobsters this year?

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full