diver.net

Twilight for Local Dive Shops

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jesse on September 24, 2007 at 13:38:30:

I had occasion to go into a small local dive shop (LDS) last week to get some basic info because my son is about to turn 10 and I want to bring him into his old man’s SCUBA tradition. Sadly, as I looked around the shop and considered the various prices on the gear, I kept thinking “Wow! That’s expensive!” Someone on this board once said that divers were the cheapest customers out there. Well, I’m sorry to say I was living up to that reputation, as the urge to run to Sport Chalet reared its ugly head. Suddenly I realized that, in order to stay “afloat”, (no pun intended) the shop needs to charge enough to make a profit. As I talked to the shop owner, I was reminded of my old LDS and how good a relationship I had with the guy. It was great to be able to call and get instant info or really good advice. Sadly, I think the sun is setting on the traditional LDS, much as it has on surf shops; and for just the same reason. People, myself included, are all too easily seduced by retail giants and their low prices. We are actually the ones killing the LDS’s. So, having said that (although my wife doesn’t agree), I will continue to frequent this LDS and hope that we don’t lose the sense of community we get at these small shops. I guess that’s the best way to look out for the “little guy.”

Jesse

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.