diver.net

Read carefully

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy S on January 04, 2009 at 21:52:35:

In Reply to: congratulations... posted by Brad on January 04, 2009 at 14:08:04:

I suggest you read my post carefully as you missed my main point which was that in the big picture that human personal views (such as yours) based on anthropogenic values are irrelevant to the ultimate biology and physical reality of this world. I was not trying to nor do I need to justify anyone’s particular behavior. I don’t disagree or agree with your personall views, they are yours – enjoy them and if they make your life more meaningful, that is what they are for. My personal view is that all creatures (and I include you in that) should be treated with appropriate “respect” for the circumstance. I may even try to rationally convince others to adopt my beliefs and values but in the end, I realize that represents my personal view and that too is irrelevant to the ultimate biology and physical reality of this world.

Thus I don’t care if you play music/sounds underwater to attract sea mammals/fish to your skiff for your personal enjoyment as you do even though my colleagues as Scripps tell me that by doing so, you are causing them waste energy - the commodity by which all life gets measured and thereby decreasing their survivorship. Others might view that as a form of deadly harrassment potential.

I am bemused by your reference to the State Constitution that you report says, “the living resources of the state belong to all of its citizens.” As I said previously, it is that view that humans OWN all of biology that is so bizarre. What can be more artificial and ephemeral than a set of human made “laws”?

One has to be amused rather than take umbrage at your final admonition of “Grow up.” Grown ups know that statement essentially translates into, “be more like me, i.e. adopt my ‘adult’ as opposed to your childish beliefs/values.” It is clearly a retort when one has nothing of substance to stand on. So if the entire world doesn’t "grow up", e.g. adopt your beliefs, don’t be bitter – unless that also gives passion to your values as well. If it does, then enjoy the bitterness – I am told it will be “another step toward total enlightenment”.

Finally, you certainly are more than welcome to criticize me or anyone else for all I care – but that doesn’t make you right or informed by any stretch of the imagination. And in future, I won’t bother to reply – ain’t worth my time so you can have the last word.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to