diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My thoughts on marine protected areas

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Commonsense on April 17, 2009 at 14:27:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My thoughts on marine protected areas posted by Craig Hoover on April 17, 2009 at 11:59:22:

If the problem is excessive fish taking, the solution would be to reduce take or eliminate take. Use the existing law and existing DFG mechanism

Would an MPA have saved the salmons in Norcal? Noone with a brain would say that it would.

Why not improve the fishery state-wide instead of in spots by management of species statewide.

Before people parroting the "it didn't work" line, I now see black sea bass all the time, big ones too, on many of my dives. Once they banned the taking of it, they come back in spades. The white sea bass limit and elimination of gillfish netting have brought them back and the world record fish is recently caught.

Management works, and it works state-wide. Closure creates another bureaucracy, and it only provides a patch in small areas. I'd rather have abundant fisheries EVERYWHERE instead of fish congregating in small areas only to be caught once they stray outside. How is that going to help the other 80% that is not closed?

And lest we sit pretty, remember the MPA is also about protecting marine mammals and fish. Once they are established, what is to prevent an environmental lawsuit keeping divers like us or surfers like me out for disturbing marine sleeping, resting, foraging, or birds resting, sleeping, foraging. People forgot that the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act were enacted for the best of reasons, now vastly perverted beyond its original intent with waves after waves of lawsuits to turn areas into no-human areas.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to