diver.net

My apologies...

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Knight on August 06, 2009 at 10:31:53:

In Reply to: Asked and answered posted by seldom seen slim on August 05, 2009 at 21:46:15:

I thought you knew what sustainable meant. It means that fishing is conducted at levels that keep the population at an acceptable level for the species to exist. You didn't know what it meant so this was an unfair question to begin with.

What you've written here and what you seem to always do is a distortion of the facts. This is only part of the picture. You are only talking about after catch results. DFG is only saying this is how many were taken. They don't discuss effort or the population in the wild. The only mention of the word "sustainable" is used to describe a "segment" of the N. Channel Islands.

The encyclopedia.com exhibit is a demo-blurb paragraph about Alaskan sea cucumbers btw. Are you serious? Did you even bother to pop for the full registration to see what the full entry said? I'm guessing no. What do yo think our fishery here in California has to do with Alaska? It's not even the same species we fish here in California which is probably what the rest of the page said on encyclopedia.com but you'll never know because you didn't read it. It doesn't even have anything to do with the health of their cucs btw. It's only discussing the economic demands and rewards.

As always with you, the truth is elsewhere.

As for the actual population of cucs in California, a 2001 NOAA study at the Channel islands conducted by researchers at UCSB showed declines in shallow water populations of fished cucumbers from 33 to 85 percent once fishing operations were begun. In other words, they are overfished.

Instead of pounding sand, I'll just leave you with something Lincoln said that kind of applies to you:

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four; calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to