diver.net

Kirstens Reply

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Divebum Don on May 27, 2010 at 15:14:54:

In Reply to: I think this is a very poor use of 30K and likely a PR stunt. posted by Andy S on May 26, 2010 at 20:37:14:

I wrote my old friend Kirsten G. @ UC Davis for her side of this controversy...

Thu, May 27, 2010 11:08:35 AM
Re: Malibu Clean Up
To: Don Robarge
Cc: Dexter Glen ; Gaydos Joe ; Jean Spalti

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Don:

Thanks for your email! We've been fielding the same questions. To clarify: this is a pile of toilets and tires (right next to each other) on top of rocky reef, about 1 mile east of Pt. Dume. It has killed the underlying reef, and there's nothing living on or in it (a few cucumbers, some stars). Our divers, Glenn Dexter especially (lives in Malibu), has dived that entire area for years (1000s of hours), and draws a distinction between artificial reefs on sandy bottom (if made with toilets, should be left there, in his opinion), and the debris pile we're removing in this effort -- the divers describe how vital and diverse the reef is just 50 yards away from this debris pile, whereas there's nothing living where these toilets and tires are. Unfortunately, someone probably thought they were doing everyone a service by placing this stuff there years ago, but unfortunately it was poorly placed on top of reef. In fact, right now, this dead reef area cuts right across what should be an intact lobster migration pathway from shallows to depths.

Thanks for your good work too!

-Kirsten

On May 27, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Don Robarge wrote:

Hi Kirsten, Don Robarge here from the Ocean Defenders Alliance. How have you been, and Thanks for the efforts off Malibu! We're still doing our part down here to rid our near shore playgrounds and neighbor hoods of junk left out there. (www.oceandefenders.org)

Some questions have been posed to me(us) about this particular effort off Malibu. Many here are concerened about the destruction of the cultured reef that has been established there, and the motives behind the effort(and cash allotment) for this project? Any in depth insight you can lend would go a long way in our discussions. I know your busy, at you leisure would be helpful. Keep up the good work!

For the Oceans,
Don Robarge
Dive Team Coordinator
Ocean Defenders Alliance

1-310-896-6163

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.