diver.net

Re: Question for Dr. Miller (ndr?)

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SDM on November 04, 2011 at 04:06:35:

In Reply to: Question for Dr. Miller (ndr?) posted by Divebum Don on November 03, 2011 at 18:06:46:

Don,

From the beginning of time there was an abundance of Pismo Clams in Pismo Beach, but since the arrival about ten years ago of the lovely little and most charming sea otters Pismo Clams have totally disappeared.

Prior to the sea otters I would often make a short dive and collect enough for a dinner, or as a social event Mrs. Miller (who is also a diver for over 40 years) and I would trott down to the beach and dig a few up with forks.

No longer can you locally purchase clam forks, nor will you see people in the shadows with clam forks digging for clams or the locals diving for clams--they are gone all gone.

The local Clam shops, Splash Cafe, Old Port Inn, Quarter deck, etc import their clams for "Pismo Clam Chowder" from the eastern sea board, last reports from Maryland. As you recall Pismo Clams had a unique flavor which is absent in the current "Pismo Clam Chowder."

I walk the beach every day with my little dog Max and can't recall the last time I saw a clam shell washed up on to the beach.

A few years after the arrival of the otters I placed a display of unique Pismo Clams, clam books and diving measuring devices in the Pismo Beach City Hall.

No Don they are like the great plains buffalo, all gone...

Sad, Sad, Sad, isn't it?

SDM

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to