Re: No flames, but please answer some questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on March 14, 2005 at 20:55:16:

In Reply to: Re: No flames, but please answer some questions posted by Max Bottomtime on March 14, 2005 at 20:07:48:

>All you need to do is look at the abalone population of Palos Verdes.
I agree, but they will soon come back to Palos Verdes because humans can learn. If otters come back, the abalone never will.
There are lobsters, octopuses and eels left. You are right they form a balance. Otters break all balances. Thee will be otters and little else.
Sharks and wolves do not compare to otters. There are many deer where there are wolves. There is a balance where there are more herbivores than predators. Otters do not follow those rules. They overwhelm the rest of the ecology. I do not agree that there cannot be healthy environments with human presense. That is silly, but nNo ecology you are used to at the Channel Islands or the southern coast, will be recognizable with otters here.
If the kelp in an area is too dense for me to enjoy diving it, I expect it is too dense for most people to enjoy.
Have you ever dove from south of Carmel down to Pismo? Have you seen what is missing? Monterey and Carmenl are so lush and rich, that it seems to stay nice even with otters. In the area south of that, it is otter turf and the diving has a barrenness to it. Seriously, if you love the beauty of diving, realize that otters will ruin much of that. That may be selfish, but so be it. They are just too destructive.
Enjoy, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]