Importance of Nitrox

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on August 01, 2000 at 15:49:45:

In Reply to: Re: CLOSE CALL ON YUKON posted by MHK on August 01, 2000 at 11:43:24:

I agree with you completely about the Yukon being yet another reason for us to use Nitrox.

I just wish the dive shops made it easier by installing membrane systems so we could use our air tanks. I realize that many of the shops make extra money selling oxygen to tech divers and nondivers and this requires them to deal with high pressure O2, but the practise of filling the tank with high pressure oxygen has hindered the acceptance of Nitrox for the masses by requireing O2 cleaning and maintenance of the tanks.

It is clearly a chicken and egg problem. Nitrox is a pain in the butt to get put into our existing "air" tanks (lack of membrane systems in the area), so the demand remains low. Low demand prevents shops from investing in new hardware for making high pressure EAN blends.

I have not problem getting my Nitrox fills in Ventura (Ventura Dive & Sport and the Peace have membrane systems), but here in the L.A. area, I am stuck with having to rent a tank if I want Nitrox.

I guess I wish everyone would get certified for Nitrox and then it will be more readily available for us old geezers who need the geezer gas.

Wayne

Oh yea, 100 pounds sounds like he got the most out of his tank! Hate to return with too much air left over! He he he.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]