"'personal-rights' crazed society" . . . ????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SLANG on August 09, 2000 at 11:35:24:

In Reply to: Re: I think you're right on point.... posted by msblucow on August 09, 2000 at 06:39:05:

What the Hell state do you live in msblucow? You sure can't be talking about California with that kind of a comment. Personal rights have gone the way of the buffalo - a few minor examples left partially intact just so society can say they're not extinct. Up till now, diving here in CA has been one of those last surviving buffalos, and now you're trying to kill it.

As for you claiming Jason went "off-topic," maybe you should re-read the previous thread, or even your own posting that he was responding to. His reply was directly on point. We're discussing society's right to govern the individual versus the individual's right to act. Talk about "off-topic" - you quote a question Jason posed to you and then you don't answer it. You have never been licensed to ride a two-wheeled motor vehicle, have you? "Murdercycles" . . . You think that's a new one? How about "Donorcycles," you ever heard that one? As someone who has been a life-long motorcycle rider and someone who used to respond to the same trauma scenes as the EMTs on a daily basis, and whose entire family is physicians - believe me, I've heard them all. There are only two kinds of motorcycle riders out there, those that have been down, and those that are going to go down. It's a fact of life for us, we accept it and embrace it. Similar to diving in less than ideal conditions, the knowledge of the potential for risk only increases the sense of freedom and heightens the experience. But if I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand.

BTW, what difference does it make that your friend the EMT is a volunteer? If he really has a problem dealing with injured or dead people, he sure picked a strange hobby. Trauma will never go away. That's what I don't understand about this whole argument. Do you people think that you can make diving 100% safe? Why would you even want to?

Sorry, . . . I was really hoping to be able to skip this whole thread also.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]