Weight differences

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on September 11, 2000 at 11:36:26:

In Reply to: Re: Diver Injured/The Facts (long & detailed) posted by MHK on September 11, 2000 at 09:02:34:

Don't forget exposure protection. For those of us who don't dive dry, the suit you choose makes a HUGE difference. I was diving with like 30+ lbs. in a rented 7 mil two piece. I then purchased a 6/5 mil Excel one piece, and sank like a rock that next dive. I now dive with 26 lbs., and that's still probably 2 lbs. too much.

I think the reason most new folk (myself included) dive too heavy is because it *seems* to be easier. However, as I progress I have found it much easier to adjust my bouyancy by shedding those extra pounds. Of course, I'm really just finding out how important that bouancy really is. This weekend I was out with a group in a really sandy bottom, and they all used their hands to keep pushing themselves up off the bottom. I ended up having to cruise like ten feet off the bottom to keep out of the silted mess. Now I know how other people must feel following me :-)

And MHK, I think you can raise the tally to 9, because there were two fatalities at Sand Harbor in the last two weeks. The guy that hit his head, then some other guy who got stuck in a rock crevice in some wave action, and died within 6 inches of the surface (according to the paramedic). No other info though.

JRM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]