I think it is SAFE!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on November 22, 2000 at 09:46:26:

In Reply to: SCUBA is marketed as "safe" posted by JRM on November 21, 2000 at 18:57:33:

I think diving is much safer than other endeavors that are available. Climbing, skydiving, Skiing through the trees, etc., are much more dangerous in my opinion. I am more worried about problems driving the 101 to Ventura than the potential for injury and death while diving.

Sure there are ways to injure, maim and die, but diving is not "dangerous" per se. Gear failure can be dealt with in nearly all cases. OOA can be avoided in nearly all cases.

It is fun to get all hot and bothereed about the Dangers and Risks we take, but really it is a benign activity when we do it correctly.

People often ask me if it is safe. I tell them yes. I also point out that there are some simple things you can do that will kill you during diving, but if you learn how to do it safely and follow safe diving principles, it is a very safe endeavor. This is what I beleive. Some will want to harp on the dangers, but I harp on the safety and ease of having a great time in relative safety. We can do the dive or watch them dive on TV. Sitting on the couch watching TV will kill you eventually, Diving will probably keep you alive and healthy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]