And I thought the PADI Visa was bad

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on December 26, 2000 at 14:02:40:

I just got another spam from PADI, and here's a goodly little excerpt for you all...

"Product of the Month

If you're like me, after purchasing presents for everyone, you've probably
found yourself a little short of cash, but you still need that trip,
regulator, or specialty course. And if you haven't been good (also like
me!) you know Santa isn't going to bring it. What's a PADI Diver to do? We
have arranged for residents of the United States to get a qualifying line
of credit from MBNA Consumer Finance while benefiting Project AWARE. By
calling 1 888 XXX XXXX, you can quickly and easily apply for a line of
credit, not a credit card, offered by MBNA Consumer Finance. This is an
unsecured line of credit tailored to your needs. Please mention priority
code DWW3-XX-XXX-XX to get this offer.
Now get a friend, and go diving. Till next Month

Brian P. Cronin
Senior Vice President
Business Development and International Business "

I took out the phone number and the referrel number to protect the guilty. Now, what does this have to do with diving? I'm sure that they only have my best interest at heart, in order to insure that I become a more educated and better trained diver, right? Shouldn't every training agency offer credit cards and lines of credit in order that I, the poor diver, can pay for additional classes that I can't afford? I think GUE and NAUI have really missed the boat on this. Full service baby, nothing less! I mean, how many people can say they bank with their training agency? Or that their training agency thinks them important enough to send email twice a week? Heck I can take lessons to learn to dive, book a dive trip, and pay for it all with my training agency. Why should I worry about the quality of training I'm receiving with fringe benefits like these?

Sorry folks, until GUE launches that "signature series" Ford Expedition or NAUI sends me my "I'm a NUAI diver" bath towel set, I think I'll have to stick to the big kahuna :-)

Just more grist for the mill...

JRM

-- All sarcasm aside, I do think it's very telling about the idea of market share. With all these "added services" more members is more important than ever. I bet the PADI mailing list is worth *gold*.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]